Tuesday, June 28, 2011

And we begin...

When you're 21 and you wake up each morning, unsure about what you're going to do with your day, that is Normal Life. When you're the mother of two young children and you do that, it is Time to Panic. My maternity leave is more than halfway over. Little Person 2 (LP2) is starting to creep and crawl and becoming more interested in the world. Little Person 1 (LP1) is into everything. I feel like we need a game plan during the day. We need to be doing something. There are only so many books we can read and independent playtime I can encourage. It won't be long before I'm back to work and wishing I was at home again with them. I don't want to return to work regretting not spending enough quality time with them.

This is why I am here.

Starting today, June 28, 2011, I am challenging myself to do one new thing a day with the little people. And I'm starting this blog to keep me honest. Not only do I have to do something with them, I have to take pictures and write about it. Publicly. When my motivation wanes or I start to run out of ideas I will have this blog to remind me that I can't slack off.

Of course there are all kinds of rules and exceptions. The "one new thing a day" challenge is only for weekdays, when it is just the little people and I. This is, after all, something I have come up with for myself. Our weekends are family time and usually pretty busy. That said, if Daddy is up for a new thing, I'll post it. Rules are, after all, made to be broken. It has to involve myself and both little people doing something together. I do new things with each of them individually quite often. The harder challenge is in finding something that appeals to a 2 year old and a child under the age of 1 simultaneously. We won't always do something big and grand. I know there will be days when the "one new thing" may mean letting the kids wear each other's clothes because creativity will be low. But I hope that won't be the case. Hopefully we will do things together that are fun, provide a new experience and teach them something, too. And if other people want to join us...the more the merrier, I say.

Forward...onward...let the challenge begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment