Tuesday, July 5, 2011

New Thing #5: Summer Book Club

I recently heard that our local library was having Family Drop-in Storytime on Tuesdays at 10:15 am throughout the summer. Before LP2 was born I used to take LP1 to Toddler Storytime at a different branch. It required pre-registration and was, in my opinion, total chaos. The Storytime Lady was always consulting her notes, trying to figure out what to do next and when everything started to go to hell, would play "Baby Beluga" by Raffi and give the kids noisemakers. Don't get me wrong; she was a lovely lady. I just didn't enjoy the experience very much.

I figured a drop-in Storytime was more our speed. I just wasn't sure if we would be able to make it today because usually LP2 goes down for a nap from about 8:30 to 10:30. I was, however, wrong. LP2 decided that napping was for losers and that it was more fun to be awake. LP1, on the other hand, crashed at about 8:45 and didn't wake up until 10:20. Drop-in Family Storytime will have to wait until next week, I guess.

Since I already had it in my head that we were going to the library I decided we would still make the trek. The branch I was thinking of going to is about 4 km round-trip from our house. The sun was shining. The breeze was blowing. I could really use some exercise. I loaded the LPs into the stroller and we set off.

I really need to rethink my wardrobe choices.

The LP were in sunsuits, wearing their sunhats, loaded up with sunscreen and shaded by the canopies on the stroller. I, on the other hand, was wearing dark-wash heavy denim and a black t-shirt. And pushing a double stroller that had to be holding about 50 lbs worth of children, toys and diaper bag. By the time we got to the library I was a sweltering, sticky mess.

The LP, on the other hand, were in great spirits. They were immediately drawn to the children's section and the enormous wooden train set. This was the first time that LP2 was able to hold onto the side of the train table and push a train along. The three of us played trains together.

                                     All aboard for Sodor Island!

I have been to the library before with the LP but not as much as I would like. I LOVE libraries. As a child, you know how most kids would dream about being locked in a candy store after hours and having all the time in the world to eat all the candy they could? Yeah, not so much for me. My dream was to be locked in the library. My only problem with libraries is my wee little teeny tiny issue with overdue fines. It has been a lifelong problem. I don't see it resolving anytime soon. But enough about that.

Today I noticed that the Summer Book Club had started. As a child, I LOVED this. You read a book, reported about it to the librarian and got some great prizes. For reading! You got rewarded for reading! It was one of the things I looked forward to the most about summer. So when I saw that they had a special Summer Book Club for children from birth to 6 years, I knew that was going to be our One New Thing for today. LP1 and LP2 were promptly signed up and we reported reading 2 books each. This is not a lie. We read to the kids everyday. They were immediately given a colouring book and a coupon for free ice cream cones at McDonalds for reading 2 books. LP1 was thrilled! LP2 liked holding the paper.

                           The rewards of reading!

We read a few more stories together at the library and then decided it was ice cream time. Seeing as LP2 doesn't eat ice cream right now, I figured it was my commission for all that stroller-pushing. The McDonalds closest to our house was in the opposite direction from the library and further from our house. We set out again in the heat, the little darlings enjoying snacks and shade as I sherpa'd us to collect our reward.

I wonder what our next reward will be? I can't wait to go back next week!

          This book should probably just be required reading in our house

No comments:

Post a Comment