Monday, August 22, 2011

New Things #34 & 35: Lunchin' & Chillin'

Well, here we are at Monday again! And how are you? This post is actually two posts in one as I didn't get around to blogging about Friday's adventures. Think of it as more bang for your buck and get over it. Our weekend was excellent, if not busy. On Friday night we went out to celebrate our friend B's birthday and found out that he and his wife had just brought their new baby girl into the world the night before! There were much congratulations and toasts to the new family. On Saturday we watched Cousin B's t-ball game, went to visit a colleague of Daddy's in the hospital, dropped in on Nan at work, and picked up the LP from their sleepover at Grammy & Grandpa's house. Sunday was errands and house stuff and relaxing. And now you are all caught up, let us get on.

As Daddy and I were going out Friday night, the LP were going to have a sleepover at Grammy and Grandpa's house. Auntie K, the LP and I went over early to have lunch with Grandpa. Grandpa was just as excited to see the LP as they were him. They did their usual run-around-the-house-making-sure-their-toys-were-still there. One of LP1's favourite toys is a cat that sings "Santa Baby". Naturally, this cat is known as "Santa Baby" to LP1. On this day, LP2 noticed Santa Baby and was enchanted by it. He sat on the couch with Auntie J (who was waiting for Uncle M so they could go on a roadtrip) and laughed at Santa Baby.

This cat's song will haunt my dreams until the day I die. I don't know how Grammy copes at Christmas when Santa Baby is joined by approximately 75 other singing toys.

We went for lunch at Joe Dog's and the LP were very well-behaved, especially since lunch was late for them and they were overdue for naps. LP2 must be going through a growth spurt because he ate 2 jars of baby food and half of LP1's grilled cheese sandwich! LP1 was thrilled because her lunch came with a special cup, a toy, a helium balloon and a popsicle. The rest of us also enjoyed our meals...but perhaps not as much as the LP.

Good lunch. Good people. Good day.

We went back to Grammy and Grandpa's and the LP were soon sound asleep. Reassured that they were in excellent hands, Auntie K and I capitalized on a free afternoon to get manis and pedis. It was heavenly. The LP had a fantastic sleepover and LP1 is still talking about things they did.

Mondays are always a little tricky in terms of New Things. I freely admit this. I don't plan ahead and usually I'm playing catch-up from the weekend. Today, for example, our kitchen looked like we were about to apply for an episode of "Hoarders". There was some serious cleaning to be done. I don't know how it all goes to pot so quickly but it does.

This morning the LP and I played in the backyard. Not really a New Thing, I guess. LP2 was happy to be in his swing and LP1 was bombing around the backyard. I pushed each of them separately around in their car and then we loaded up in the ninky nonk for a quick trip to the store. They really enjoyed looking around, saying hello to people and checking out the store. At lunch, I introduced them to Meatless Loaf. It disappeared quickly. It was a definite hit and a change from their usual lunch. Daddy and I decided long before we ever had the LP that vegetarian and meat dishes would be offered equally and without prejudice. Neither one of us makes comments about one being better than the other or makes fun of the food. Our goal is for the LP to think it is completely normal to either eat meat or not eat meat. Once they are old enough, it is up to them to decide how they want to eat, but we never want them to feel as if they have to take sides. I will say, however, that I am happy to see them trying falafels, veggie burgers, meatless loaf, and veggie chicken nuggets along with chicken, turkey, steak and bacon. I think it  makes for a well-rounded eating experience.

We went outside again after dinner to play, even though it meant bedtime was a little later. I just like doing things with them and sometimes the schedule can take a backseat to fresh air and backyard fun. And if I'm really honest? I also had some making-up to do for spending part of the afternoon cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment